Thinking about selling your business? Making the decision to sell is undoubtedly a significant milestone that requires careful planning and preparation. Whether you’re looking to retire, pursue new passions, or explore other opportunities, selling a business is an intricate process that requires strategic thinking and meticulous attention to detail.
In this article, we will provide you with expert advice and insights into business exit and succession planning. We will guide you through the various stages of the selling process, from understanding your reasons for selling to preparing your business for sale and planning your future beyond the exit. Let’s delve into the essential steps and considerations involved in selling your business.
Step 1: Know Your Reason for Selling:
Understanding your motivation for selling your business is crucial. Reflect on why you initially started your business. Was it to fill a market gap, achieve financial independence, or carry on a family legacy? Identifying your primary reason for selling will help you stay focused throughout the transition process.
Some common reasons for selling include:
– Lack of enjoyment in your role or a desire to pursue other passions.
– Approaching retirement and wanting to extract value from the business.
– A partner’s decision to sell or a potential buyer’s interest.
Knowing when it’s time to step back is essential. Recognize when you become the limiting factor for the business and consider the future two or three years ahead. It is crucial to be honest with yourself and acknowledge when you are running out of ideas or energy.
Step 2: Preparing Your Business for Sale:
To attract potential buyers, your business needs to look its best. Just as you put in effort to make your company attractive to investors in its early days, making your business appealing to buyers requires even more meticulous attention.
Key considerations when preparing your business for sale include:
- Form the right team: Surround yourself with experienced advisors, including brokers or chairpersons who can guide you through the selling process seamlessly.
- Ensure up-to-date records: Maintain accurate financial, HR, customer, and legal records and forecasts. Having three years of audited financials is ideal.
- Think like a buyer: Shift your perspective and consider how buyers will view your business. Focus on future profitability, customer and supplier base, financial performance, and the strength of your management team.
Step 3: Consider When to Inform Your Employees:
While it may be tempting to inform your employees about your intentions to sell, it is generally best to wait until the deal is signed. Prematurely announcing the sale can create unnecessary uncertainty and potentially lead to key employees leaving the business. Once the ink is dry, be clear and honest with your team about the changes ahead and celebrate their contributions to the success of the business.
Step 4: Preparing Yourself for Life Beyond Sale:
Selling your business opens a new chapter in your life, offering exciting opportunities and possibilities. Consider how you envision your future, both personally and professionally, after the sale.
Key considerations include:
- Taxes and financial planning: Engage professional advisors early on to understand your tax position before and after the sale, providing you with more options.
- Income and growth expectations: Determine your financial goals and how the sale proceeds will shape your future lifestyle.
- Protecting loved ones: Review your will and letter of wishes to ensure they align with your new circumstances.
- Plan for post-exit involvement: Many entrepreneurs remain involved in a different capacity after the sale, such as advisors, non-executive directors, or shareholders. Consider what role, if any, you may want to play in the future.
The Final Word:
Selling your business is a significant decision that requires careful planning and thoughtfulness. From understanding your motivations for selling to preparing your business for sale and planning your post-exit future, each step in the process plays a crucial role in ensuring a successful transition.
By following these you can strategically shape your business today to make it more valuable in the future and easier to transition. Seek the guidance of experienced qualified professionals and surround yourself with a strong support network to navigate the complexities of the selling process.
- “Preparing to Sell Your Business” – Harvard Business Review
- “The Key Steps in Planning a Business Exit Strategy” – Entrepreneur Magazine
- “Tips for Preparing Your Business for Sale” – Forbes
Action Points Summary:
- Clarify your primary reason for selling and keep it in mind throughout the process.
- Form a team of experienced advisors and ensure your financial, HR, customer, and legal records are up to date.
- Communicate the sale to your employees once the deal is signed, celebrating their contributions and presenting the buyer’s vision for the future.
- Engage professional advisors to plan your post-exit future, considering your tax position, income expectations, and desired level of involvement.
By implementing these actions and seeking guidance from reputable resources, you’ll be well-prepared to navigate the complexities of selling your business and transition into the next phase of your professional journey. Take control of your future and start acting today.
If you are considering selling your business within the next three years, reach out to us today for expert advice and assistance in navigating the considerations and concerns surrounding your business exit and succession planning. Book an appointment and begin your journey towards a successful transition.
Are you stuck in the day-to-day of your business with no time to plan for the future? A Professional Business Mentor is just the leverage you need to get out of the rut and flying. Discover how you can make your business worth more AND avoid leaving money on the table when you finally leave your business. Click here to contact Christine by email alternatively you can book a call with the Business Mentor of the Year 2020, author and speaker. Who helps business founders get their businesses exit ready so they can enjoy a happier, richer future. She saves them THOUSANDS and increases the value of their businesses by MILLIONS.